The quality of olive oil is amazing. Researchers have found that there are many health benefits. There is a specimen that has been used by man olive oil since ancient times. It is worth knowing about this nature gifted amazing thing in such a cool fashion. Olive trees have been grown around the Mediterranean since the 8th millennium BC.
Olive oil is a liquid obtained from olives, a traditional tree crop of the Mediterranean Basin. The oil is produced by pressing whole olives. It is commonly used in cooking, whether for frying or as a salad dressing. It is also used in cosmetics, pharmaceuticals, and soaps, and as a fuel for traditional oil lamps, and has additional uses in some religions.
Today, Spain is the largest producer of olive oil by volume, followed by Italy and Greece. However, per capital national consumption is highest in Greece, followed by Spain, Italy, and Tunisia. Consumption in South Asia, North America and northern Europe is far less, but rising steadily.
The composition of olive oil varies with the cultivar, altitude, time of harvest and extraction process. It consists mainly of oleic acid (up to 83%), with smaller amounts of other fatty acids including linoleic acid (up to 21%) and palmitic acid (up to 20%). Extra virgin olive oil is required to have no more than 0.8% free acidity and is considered to have favorable flavor characteristics.
Nutritional value per 100 g (3.5 oz)
Energy : 3,699 kJ (884 kcal)
Carbohydrates : 0 g
Fat : 100 g
Saturated : 14 g
Monounsaturated : 73 g
Polyunsaturated : 11g
omega‑3 : 0.8 g
omega‑6 : 9.8 g
Protein : 0 g
Vitamins Quantity %DV†
Vitamin E 14 mg 93%
Vitamin K 60 μg 57%
Minerals Quantity %DV†
Iron 0.56 mg 4%
Health benefits of olive oil
Investigations have revealed that many diseases can be prevented by adding olive oil to your diet. Therefore, many people use olive in their foods.
- As per study (FDA), risk of Type 2 diabetes could be preventing and lowering by monounsaturated fats that containing in olive oil
- Many studies have proven that olive oil can protect form stroke.
- Olive oil rich in antioxidants, such as phenolic compounds, which will help prevention of chronic disease throughout your body.
- Heart attack and cardiovascular disease can be avoided. As you know cholesterol can block the blood vessels, which increases the risk of heart attacks and other heart diseases. Olive oil is rich in many antioxidant chemicals, which reduce the oxidation effects cholesterol.
- In a recent study found that oleic acid helped inhibit the growth of breast cancer cells and prevention from skin cancer.
- As per medical experts that there will be no gain of weight by monounsaturated fats in olive oil, so in this matter olive oil are great for individuals that considering to weight loss.
- Olive oil helps to digestive process.
- Olive oil is rich in oleic acid that have anti-inflammatory and antimicrobial properties. It prevent growth of pathogenic bacteria and relieve inflammation.
- Olive oil has ability to fight against osteoporosis, researched has found that olive oil helps to improve thickness of bones